Friends of Grasslands regular activities include:
- trips to grassland sites (see the Current Calendar)
- providing help to landowners and grassland managers
- hands-on conservation work (e.g. Hall Cemetery, work parties at Stirling Park, Scrivener's Hut, Yarrmundi Reach, Cooma Common, Scottsdale)
- slide nights and other presentations
- education programs and community liaison
- lobbying and advocacy
- assistance with funding applications
- surveys and monitoring of public conservation efforts
- committee meetings, annual general meetings and the FoG Forum
- production and dispatch of the newsletter
- distributing publications
How can I help Friends of Grasslands to conserve, protect and promote grasslands?
Well! There is usually plenty to be done. And you might want to try something new, something you haven't done before. The general answer is that if you would like to find out more about how to help, then Contact Us and have a talk about it. The sorts of things that need doing range from the mundane to the heroic!
- Pack and post the newsletter - see the calendar for time and place.
- Prepare articles or provide photos for the newsletter or the website.
- Manage the membership database and member subscriptions.
- Advocacy - e.g. look at proposals being assessed under environment protection or other legislation, write submissions to inquiries, develop proposals of our own.
- Make a presentation, run a workshop, help to organise a field visit, host a field visit to your place, or help with any of the range of other FoG activities.
- Accounting and auditing - look after FoG's finances.
- Organise and help staff promotions at community events, get FoG activities advertised in local media.
- Develop and look after FoG’s grass display specimens and publicity materials.
- Provide legal advice - we don't need it every day, but it is nice to know where we can get it.
- Provide scientific advice - whether you are a professional or a keen amateur, we can always use people with skills in grassland taxonomy and ecology.
- Get down and get dirty - help with managing a grassland. FoG is helping to manage the Cooma Common. You can grow your own!
FoG is an advocacy and education group that relies on its membership for its voice. One of the easiest things you can do to help is to become a member, add to our voice and hear what we have to say.